We have read many great blogs on what to take and not take on a long-term family sabbatical. One constant theme, which we are strong proponents of is “go light”. So after rolling up our sleeves and really deciding, ok, what are we all going to be responsible for and take on this journey…we came up with this list. This is our pre-trip list so we’ll see how much changes as we move along. Hope it helps!
Backpacks and Carry-On’s:
Each one of us is responsible for our own backpacks. We spent a decent amount of time researching packs (both on-line and in stores) and about a year ago Amy purchased her Porter 46 before a family trip to Washington D.C. It was comfortable on our backs, carried a great amount of clothing, was durable and had easy access to our belongings. So we’ll see how they handle for the duration of our trip. We will also each have a carry-on…Steve will be responsible for electronics in his carry-on and the other three will have their stuff and the miscellaneous school supplies.
- Steve has the Osprey Farpoint 55
- Amy and Kendal each have an Osprey Porter 46
- Keegan has an Osprey Blue Yonder Ace 48 (adjustable)
- MacBook Pro 13″ and MacBook Air 11″
- Kindles (2)
- iPod Touch and 3 iPods
- iPhone and a Samsung Cell Phone
- WD My Passport – 1 TB external hard drive for backup and storage
- Simran SM-60 Universal Power Strip/Surge Protector as well as applicable country plugs
- Nikon D60 – this was a tough one because of the size but it takes good pictures day and night
- Fujifilm Waterproof Digital Camera – actually takes decent video so we’ll test it for a while
For Steve and Keegan “the guys” trying to keep it light;
- 6 pair of underwear, 1 pair long underwear, 2 long sleeve thin shirts (for layers), thin rain/wind jacket, 5 shirts, 3 shorts, 2 pants, 1 cap, 2 workout shorts, 2 workout shirts, 6 pair of socks, running shoes, everyday sandals, flip-flops and a regular pair of shoes.
For Amy and Kendal “the ladies” also trying to keep it light;
- Amy and Kendal created an alliance and decided they didn’t want to share their garment details. Hmmm, I’ll see if I can sneak a couple pictures to share later down the road. I do know however, that everything they’re taking is all in one backpack.
- Pacsafe 55 – we will use this to secure electronics that we leave behind in apartments when we are out and about. We know if someone really wants our stuff they can find a way to take it but hopefully this will help deter the novice bad guys.
- Headlamps (2)
- Flashlights – 3 inch’s (2)